Government has announced a compensation package totaling GH¢1,750,000 to be paid to the families of the victims of last year’s Asawase shooting incident.
President Nana Akufo-Addo who announced this on Tuesday said GH¢250,000 for each of the 7 families is to be paid to the dependents of the deceased.
He explained that “even though money cannot replace the life of a human being, it is being offered as a way of accepting the responsibility of the State in this tragic affair.”
In the circumstances, the President appealed to residents of Asawase and the families of the victims to continue to exercise restraint as the sad, unfortunate matter is addressed within the confines of the law and due process.
The President said this when he delivered a speech at the Zongo for Peace and Development Conference, an initiative of the Ministry of Inner City and Zongo Development.
Addressing the gathering, the President indicated that, based on the recommendations of the committee set up to look into the matter, he directed the Inspector General of Police (IGP) to interdict the police personnel involved.
“Processes have been initiated that will result in the prosecution of any police person who is allegedly found to have acted outside the law,” he added.
Whilst acknowledging that some irresponsible people are exploiting the inevitable gap between the occurrence of the event and its final resolution to instigate residents of Asawase to resort to violence, President Akufo-Addo urged them to continue to ignore these agents provocateurs, and continue to hold the peace, as they have done.
“I assure you that justice will be served. I am determined on it,” he stressed.
On July 7, 2018, Police in the Ashanti Region shot and killed seven persons believed to be armed robbers at Manso Nkwanta.
The seven, all residents of Asawase Zongo in Kumasi, were said to have exchanged fire with the police patrol team.
The killings sparked outrage in Zongo communities in Kumasi with residents insisting on the innocence of the seven.
A seven-member committee which was set up to investigate the shootings concluded that there was no evidence to suggest that the seven persons who were killed in the shootout were armed robbers.